Wellington, FL – Hurricane Irma is expected to make landfall in South Florida in the coming days, and Palm Beach Equine Clinic (PBEC) is available to assist horse owners preparing for and recovering from the storm with their horses’ health care. Horse and farm owners are encouraged to stay calm and activate their hurricane emergency plans to ensure the safety of all horses.
PBEC is available for all emergencies 24/7 with 25 veterinarians and three board-certified surgeons on staff during this hurricane. PBEC is also equipped with generators and will be able to offer full-service care and treatments after the storm. Veterinarians will also be available for farm calls after the storm throughout Palm Beach, Martin, and Broward counties. In case of an emergency, please call the main line at (561) 793-1599.
Suggestions for safety include:
- While leaving halters on horses is not normally recommended, in preparation for a natural disaster, PBEC recommends horses wear a halter for the duration of the storm with a tag stating the horse’s name and owner contact information in case they get loose.
- Write horse’s name and owner contact information on horse’s pastern with a permanent marker.
- Do not attempt to evacuate at this time. PBEC recommends horse owners secure their properties and wait out the storm.
- Clean up around the barn for debris that may take flight.
- Ensure that horses have access to plenty of fresh water and hay that is secure and off the ground.
- Perform a physical examination of your horse the day before to make sure all is healthy and have a comparison for post-storm examination.
- Horses who regularly live outside are naturally well-equipped to remain outside in their natural environment during the storm.
- After the storm passes, feed less grain and more hay. The drop in barometric pressure during a storm reduces gut motility and allows grain to sit in a horse’s stomach, risking colic and other gastrointestinal problems.
Palm Beach Equine Clinic is renowned for its full-service surgical center and intensive care hospital located in the heart of Wellington, Florida. Board-certified surgeons, primary care veterinarians, and hospital technicians are scheduled 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to treat, monitor, and care for critical cases. With world-class veterinarians and a full staff of highly trained technicians, both clients and patients of PBEC are in the best hands possible.
About Palm Beach Equine Clinic
The veterinarians and staff of PBEC are respected throughout the industry for their advanced level of care and steadfast commitment to horses and owners. With 28 skilled veterinarians on staff, including three board-certified surgeons, internal medicine specialists, and one of very few board-certified equine radiologists in the country, PBEC leads the way in new, innovative diagnostic imaging and treatments. Palm Beach Equine Clinic provides experience, knowledge, availability, and the very best care for its clients. To find out more, please visit www.equineclinic.com or call 561-793-1599. “Like” them on Facebook to follow along on what happens in Wellington and more, and get news from their Twitter!