As if the battle for the overall Global Champions League ranking lead could not become any more intense, overall leaders Valkenswaard United have drawn the short straw following today’s GCL starting order draw, with John Whitaker and Bertram Allen first to go in Sunday’s competition.
However with Bertram bringing his top stallion Romanov specifically for the League competition, the pressure is mounting as to who will be crowned overall champions. Right behind them will be the formidable combination of the Antwerp Diamonds, who will field new recruit Michael Whitaker (GBR) alongside team anchor Harrie Smolders (NED). In a pre-League interview, Michael threw down the gauntlet to brother John who competes for Valkenswaard United, saying “We’ll be seeing you from the top step!”
There will be everything to play for as the wafer-thin 1.5 points difference will be up for grabs, and with the Monaco Aces (3rd place) and Rome Gladiators (4th position) drawing midway through the pack, it’s set to be an exhilarating round of action for the penultimate leg of the League in Vienna. Home team Vienna Eagles will be fourth to go, and the strong combination of Marco Kutscher and Kevin Jochems for the Cannes Stars have drawn pole position ahead of Sunday’s competition to start in last.
The full draw starting order is as follows:
1. Valkenswaard United: John Whitaker and Bertram Allen
2. Antwerp Diamonds: Harrie Smolders and Michael Whitaker
3. Cascais Charms: David Will and Philip Houston
4. Vienna Eagles: Lauren Hough and Danielle Goldstein
5. Monaco Aces: Leopold van Asten and Daniel Bluman
6. Rome Gladiators: Jack Towell and Laura Renwick
7. Miami Glory: Scott Brash and Jessica Mendoza
8. Madrid in Motion: Athina Onassis and Alberto Zorzi
9. Paris Jets: Rolf-Göran Bengtsson and Kamal Bahamdan
10. Shanghai Swans: Janne-Freiderike Meyer and Alexandra Thornton
11. Doha Fursan Qatar: Bassem Hassan Mohammed and Faleh Al Ajami
12. Cannes Stars: Marco Kutscher and Kevin Jochems
Tune in to GCL TV to watch all the action live at 15:15 local time on Sunday 18th September.