Sydney Shulman raked in one of the biggest wins of her career Thursday night as she and Curby du Seigneur edged 14 other jump-off combinations to win the Haygard Lexington Classic at the Kentucky Horse Park. Eleven of the 15 horses in the jump-off went clear, making a truly competitive finale.
“I looked at my mom and John Roche, who co-trains me, and I said, ‘I have never been in a 15-horse jump-off before! How do I win that?’ said Sydney following the event. “John told me to ride smart, so I tried to go in with a good pace and stick to my plan and it all worked out.”
It was only Curby’s second grand prix ever, and his first under the bright lights of the Rolex Stadium, but 22-year-old Sydney managed to channel his energy and attention into a singular show of speed and accuracy to wail on the competition.
“He is naturally the fastest horse that I have ever ridden in my entire life. On any given day, without trying, he is naturally faster than any other horse in the ring. His owner, Hannah Patten, and I were very interested to see how he would handle the atmosphere under the lights and with the crowd. He was phenomenal.”
Sydney edged British transplant Amanda Derbyshire aboard Sibell BH by just .09 of a second, but the two friends had nothing but warmth and praise for each other, sharing the winners circle and a special moment after their gallop.
$25,000 Hagyard Lexington Classic
1. Curby Du Seigneur / Sydney Shulman / Hannah Patten / 74.485 / 39.216
6. Don’t Touch Du Bois / Shane Sweetnam / Sweet Oak Farm & Paul Tracy / 77.835 / 41.337
7. Ardente Printaniere / Sydney Shulman / Sydney Shulman / 77.969 / 41.421
8. Shiver / Liza Finsness / Liza Finsness / 76.249 / 42.421
9. Caillou / Luis Biraben / Luis Biraben & Miguel Madero / 75.355 / 42.129
10. Barnetta / Sharn Wordley / Sky Group / 77.115 / 47.546
11. Luibanta BH / Amanda Derbyshire / Gochman Sport Horse LLC / 78.383 / 50.731
12. Gentille / Kaely Tomeu / Siboney Ranch / 75.485 / 4 / 40.163