June 8, 2017 – San Juan Capistrano, CA – It was Lindsay Ramar aboard Mr. Harrison who claimed the title in the $25,000 Markel Insurance Grand Prix at the Blenheim June Classic I. Third to go double-clear, Ramar held onto the lead with a time of 37.08, even as three more combinations finished fault-free. As an amateur rider, this class is her first $25,000 win.
For the opening grand prix of the summer, FEI course designer Anderson Lima of Brazil designed a solid 1.40m track that tested riders over sixteen efforts. Rails fell throughout the course, though the oxer-vertical combination at fences 7A and B heading away from the back gate fell nearly ten times.
As Lima predicted, time proved to be a factor in the first round with fourteen of 37 competitors incurring time faults, some of whom would otherwise have been clear. Fourteen riders advanced to the jump-off where Ramar’s slick turns and smart decisions on course gave her the win.
“I thought it was a friendly track but I knew it was going to be a race in the jump-off,” she explained. “Everyone was putting nine steps from one to two in the jump-off, and I knew that if I put eight steps that I would have an edge right out of the gate. I knew that it would also enable me to turn back faster to fence three.”
Ramar, who trains with Mariano Alario, joked about simply trying to stay on as her horse put great effort into each jump. Her adaptability between fences proved to be the winning strategy as she decided to balance and add a stride to the last fence in order to ensure a double-clear finish. Along with the blue ribbon, Ramar earned a SmartPak cooler, an engraved Blenheim pewter, and a pair of Roeckl Sports gloves.
The win marks Mr. Harrison’s first grand prix victory. The talented jumper was named after and bred by Hunter Harrison, who breeds McLain Ward’s “HH” horses. Ramar imported him last year from Europe and plans to continue competing in grand prix classes with him this week and going forward.
Stay tuned for the highlight events of the weekend: $30,000 Blenheim June Classic I Grand Prix is coming up on Saturday and will be followed by the $25,000 USHJA WCHR West Coast Hunter Spectacular and USHJA Foundation Fundraiser – “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” on Sunday. The 2017NAJYRC Selection Final trials continue on Friday and conclude on Sunday.
$25,000 Markel Insurance Grand Prix
Place – Entry Number – Horse – Rider – Owner – Faults/Time
1. 783 – Mr. Harrison – Lindsay Ramar – Lindsay Ramar – 0/0/37.079
2. 374 – Doriena – Michelle Parker – Idyllic Imports – 0/0/37.794
3. 337 – Elicole – Jason Mcardle – Fairbanks Valley Farm LLC – 0/0/37.965
4. 683 – Unlimited – Josephina Nor Lantzman – Josephina Nor Stables LLC – 0/0/38.146
5. 380 – Bitalica – Keri Potter – Julia Koetting – 0/0/38.274
6. 797 – Diamond – Cristobal Collado – Enrique Gonzalez – 0/0/38.721
7. 603 – Butterfly Tibri Z – Lindsay Douglass – Lindsay Douglass – 0/4/35.854
8. 263 – NJK No Regret – Nicole Haunert – NJK Show Jumpers, Inc. – 0/4/38.241
9. 377 – Vancouver 45 – Michelle Parker – Cross Creek Farms, Inc. – 0/4/39.343
10. 373 – Cupilor – Michelle Parker – Cross Creek Farms, Inc. – 0/4/39.667
11. 231 – LITTLE GANCHO – Marc Grock – Moonlight Beach, LLC – 0/4/40.251
12. 332 – LEGIS Venice – Jenni Mcallister – Legisequine.com – 0/4/41.137