The HITS Great American Summer Series, presented by Alliant Private Client, continued last week with the $200,000 Purina Animal Nutrition Grand Prix and $25,000 USHJA International Hunter Derby.
Nayel Nassar and Hermelien VD Hooghoeve kicked off the week with a blue ribbon finish in the $5,000 HITS Open Welcome on Wednesday, July 22. Nassar was the last rider to advance to the jump-off and laid down the trip in a time of 38.644. In second place were Jonathan McCrea and Jasmijn [39.010], while Peter Lutz and Chicago Hof Eversem Z took third [39.161].
Nayel Nassar on Hermelien VD Hooghhoeve. Photo by ESI.
Topping the field by nearly a second in the $10,000 HITS 1.40m Jumper Classic on Thursday, July 23 was Laura Chapot with Gideon in a remarkably fast time of 31.621. Diego Perez Bilbao rode Helios to a second place finish [32.897], while Bliss Heers piloted Goodbye to third place [34.248].
Joining the Winner’s Circle to take home first place in the $25,000 SmartPak Grand Prix were Leslie Howard and Donna Speciale in a time of 37.396. Jordan Coyle and Picadore were close behind to finish in second place [37.948], and Adrienne Sternlicht rounded out the podium with Bennys Legacy to take third place [37.396].
Sternlicht moved up in the standings on Saturday, July 25 to win the $10,000 Saugerties Steamboat Co. Jumper Classic aboard Quidam MB in a time of 34.475. In second place were Laura Bowery with Zerly [35.436], while Stella Manship and Dundalk took third [35.767].
Coyle has dominated the high performance jumper competition at the Great American Summer Series so far, taking several top placings in featured jumper competition which includes many blue ribbons. Coyle claimed top honors once again in the $200,000 Purina Animal Nutrition Grand Prix aboard Picador, taking the blue ribbon for the third consecutive week in Sunday’s featured class.
Jordan Coyle on Picador. Photo by ESI.
A pair of unlucky rails on Coyle’s first ride, Warnike, in the jump-off would put the pressure on Picador, his second ride. A time of 37.018 would secure the win, separating Coyle from the rest of the field by over a full second. In second place rode Lucy Deslauriers and Hester [38.615]. Mario Deslauriers and Amsterdam 27 finished in third [38.949].
Purina Animal Nutrition is the Official Feed of HITS Horse Shows and awarded Coyle with some of their signature horse treats. Each week, the winner of the Grand Prix on Sunday is also awarded a Heart Monitoring System, sponsored by Hylofit.
The Outside Course featured the $2,500 National Hunter Derby on Saturday which was split into two sections, professionals and non-professionals.
Scores of 88.5 in the Hunter Classic Round and the 94 in the Handy Hunter Round for a cumulative score of 182.5 solidified first place for Cassandra Kahle and Esprit de Victoire in the professional section of the $2,500 USHJA National Hunter Derby. Brooke Chasin and Wisdom took second place , and Hannah Isop took third with Cue the Blue .
Meghan Knapic and All So Blue shined in the non-professional section of the $2,500 USHJA National Hunter Derby, scoring a 92 in the Hunter Classic Round and a 90 in the Handy Hunter Round for an overall score of 182. Catherine Cowie piloted Traveller to a second place finish [179.5], and Baylee McKeever and Flirt took third place .
The Grand Prix Stadium was transformed into a Derby Field on Saturday afternoon for the second of three $25,000 USHJA International Hunter Derbies featured during the Great American Summer Series.
Rising to a first place finish was Jennifer Jones for her ride aboard Highlighter. Jones led the way in the Hunter Classic Round topping the field with the high score of 190. Added to that was her score of 197 in the Handy Hunter Round, for a cumulative score of 387 to take home the Champion title. David Wilbur and Charismo took second place , and Isop was close behind with Red Ryder to take third place .
Jennifer Jones on Highlighter. Photo by ESI.
Additional Jumper Highlights:
- $2,500 M&S Children’s High Jumper Classic: Caroline Saunders and Colorado W
- $2,500 M&S Adult High Jumper Classic: Rachael Kealey and Electra
- $1,000 Harcour M&S Children’s & Adult Jumper Classic – Low: Emily Gilbert and Coco Chello
- $250 M&S Children’s & Adult Modified Jumper Classic: Elli Pope and Valentina
- $2,500 Jr/A-O/Am 1.25m Jumper Classic: Anna Perlow and Brightly
- $5,000 Pyranha Jr/A-O/Am 1.35m Jumper Classic: Tori Corts and Bon Jovi
- $7,500 Jr/A-O/Am 1.45m Jumper Classic: Stephanie Gallucci and Fredie Leva
Additional Hunter Highlights:
- $1,000 Eastern Hay Amateur-Owner 3’3″ Hunter Classic: Callie Seaman and Silver LiningS
- $1,000 Junior 3’3″ Hunter Classic: Anna Leighton and E-Jazz
- $1,000 Jr/A-O 3’6″ Hunter Classic: Seaman and Prolific
- $1,000 Perfect Products Pony Hunter Classic: Hayley Hewitt and Enough Said
- $500 M&S SmartPak Adult Hunter Classic: Erin Brody and Jalisco
- $500 M&S Child Hunter Classic – Horse: Luna Baron and City Smarts
- $500 M&S Child Hunter Classic – Pony: Alessandra Veltri and A Dark Hero
- $250 M&S Bit O’ Straw Hunter Classic: Kira Sfera and Galileo
- M&S Novice Adult Hunter Classic: Kira Sfera and Galileo
- M&S Novice Child Hunter Classic: Sophia Michaels and Remastered
- Short Stirrup Hunter Classic: Hannah Grace Schenck and You’ve Got Mail
- Long Stirrup Hunter Classic: Chandler Asher and Buckingham Palace NHF
For full class results, click here. This summer, during the Great American Summer Series, presented by Alliant Private Client, every ring will be live streamed every day, and videos will be archived and accessible for a full year at Showhorse.tv.
HITS thanks exhibitors for continuing to comply with the health and safety measures being implemented including, social distancing, wearing of masks, and hand washing. As the Great American Summer Series continues, please be sure you review all protocols outlined in the HITS Horse Show Protocol online here prior to your arrival at the show grounds.