HITS Chicago moved to the beautiful Lamplight Equestrian Center in 2020 and went on to host ten weeks of USEF-rated hunter/jumper horse shows from June through September. The September Fall Classic that just came to a close was the final week of the season and hosted a number of finals including USHJA Zone 5 Horse of the Year Championships, the NCEA Junior Hunt Seat Finals – Midwest, the IHJA Medal Finals, and the Marshall & Sterling Insurance League Midwest Finals. Catch up on all the Champions here — HITS looks forward to seeing you again next year!
Tiffany Hammock led the way in the $2,500 HITS Open Welcome on Wednesday, September 9 aboard Ghana FS Z in a time of 38.720. In second place rode Brian Murphy and Hyperios HS [4-Faults, 39.172], and Murphy claimed third place with another mount, Denison Park Combat [4-Faults, 40.306].
The week continued with the $5,000 Jumper Classic on Thursday where Lisa Goldman-Smolen and Sovereign were last to compete, taking home the blue ribbon in a quick time of 30.669. Hammock and Ghana FS Z took second place [31.985], and Amanda Flint and VDL Ipad took third [33.984].
Lisa Goldman-Smolen on Nike. Photo by ESI.
Goldman-Smolen continued her winning streak, this time securing the blue ribbon aboard Nike in the $10,000 HITS Open Jumper Prix in a time of 27.938. Caelinn Leahy piloted Happiness to second place [28.087], and Stephen Foran rode Cassius 74 to third [29.690].
It was a great week for Goldman-Smolen as she bested the field in the $25,000 HITS Grand Prix on Saturday afternoon, September 12 aboard Nike. Goldman-Smolen was the last to return for the jump-off and put it all on the line as she crossed the timers in a fault-free 35.360. Hannah Hoch took second place with Shariva [35.592], and Murphy and Denison Park Combat took third [37.500].
Following the $25,000 HITS Grand Prix was the NCEA Junior Hunter Seat Medal Finals – Midwest. Riders compete over a first round course, and the top ten return for a flat phase. The top four riders after the flat phase then return to go head-to-head in the bracket phase of competition where they switch horses and compete in a semi-final bracket and a final bracket, much like NCAA equestrian competition. Taking home top honors was Vivian Wiggins. Wiggins scored a 79 over fences and 83 on the flat to make it back for the bracket phase, where she scored an 85 in the final round for the win. Abigail Roberts secured second place, and Lauren George took third place.
Molly McAdow on Colorado 222. Photo by ESI.
Molly McAdow piloted Colorado 222 to scores of 88 and 93 in the $2,500 USHJA National Hunter Derby. An impressive total score of 181 would be good for the win. Tina Judge-Boyle and Nordic Van Den Bisschop were close behind to take second place , while McAdow additionally secured third place with another mount, Roc Hunter 18 [177.5].
Additional Jumper Highlights:
- $1,000 M&S/WIHS Children’s & Adult High Jumper Classic: Leigh Nanda and EL Casper
- $1,000 M&S Modified Children’s & Adult Jumper Classic: Lauren Amiri and Upsilos Vida
- $1,000 Dever Golf Carts M&S Children’s & Adult Low Jumper Classic: Tessa Harper and Aarhus
- $1,000 NAL Children’s & Adult Jumper Classic: Nanda and El Casper
- $2,500 Chicago Equine Jr/A-O/Am 1.20m Jumper Classic: Nanda and Luken Du Rouet
- $5,000 Pyranha Jr/A-O/Am 1.30m Jumper Classic: Izabelle Quadracci and Tipperary Hill
- $5,000 Jr/A-O/Am 1.40m Jumper Classic: Leahy and Happiness
Additional Hunter Highlights:
- $1,000 Junior/Amateur-Owner Hunter Classic: Grace Grove and Vincezo
- $1,000 Perfect Products Pony Hunter Classic: Liana Epstein and Howie Do It
- $500 M&S/SmartPak Adult Hunter Classic: Madison Walker and Quidam’s Valentino
- $500 M&S Children’s Hunter Classic: Cristian Hacker and MTM Passport
Marshall & Sterling Insurance League Midwest Finals:
- M&S Junior Medal Final: Ashley Scofield
- M&S Junior/Amateur Horsemanship Final: Scofield
- Pyranha Children’s Medal Final: Emma Lackey
- M&S Children’s Pony Medal Final: Charlotte Bertoglio
- Dover Saddlery Adult Medal Final: Grove
- M&S Children’s & Adult 2’6″ Medal Final: Maggie Lawler
- $1,000 Pyranha Children’s Hunter Horse Final: Samantha Michael and Camillo Z
- $1,000 SmartPak Adult Hunter Final: Walker and Quidam’s Valentino
- M&S Novice Children’s/Adult Hunter Final: Ava Chesnut and Rico Suave
- $2,5000 M&S High Children’s & Adult Jumper Final: Madison O’Meara and Replique
- $1,000 M&S Modified Child/Adult Jumper Final: Harper and Nabuco
- $1,000 M&S Low Child/Adult Jumper Final: Ella Braun and High Rent
Illinois Hunter Jumper Association Medal Finals:
- IHJA Pony Medal Final: Sarah Stary
- IHJA Children’s Medal Final: Taylor Kogen
- IHJA Adult Medal Final: Rita Krejci
- IHJA Junior Medal Final: Hoch
- IHJA Children’s Mini Medal Final: Sasha Kassel
- IHJA Adult Mini Medal Final: Kaylee Dawidiuk
Join HITS back at Lamplight Equestrian Center for another great HITS Chicago Season in 2021! HITS looks forward to seeing you then!