The EQUUS Foundation announced last week the award of over $500,000 in grants, including $240,000 in awards of new and gently used riding apparel to individual riders in need, scholastic riding programs, pony clubs, equestrian camp programs and equine charities through The Rider’s Closet program.
Photo by EQUUS Foundation.
Primary support is awarded to equine charities nationwide that save and re-home increasing numbers of horses from abuse, neglect, and slaughter and charities that partner with horses to improve the well-being of people through the Foundation’s Transparency Awards program. The EQUUS Foundation awarded small grants ranging from $500 to $5,000 to 160 charities that earned the EQUUS Foundation Guardian Seal of Transparency by completing the EQUUS Foundation’s comprehensive and unique verification process.
EQUUS Foundation Horse Whisperers are a select group of donors who have an extraordinary kinship with horses. The EQUUS Foundation Board of Directors selects those charities from among the grant recipients that best align with the interests of the Horse Whisperers to be recognized with a Horse Whisperer Award.
“Through engaging passionate supporters, collaboration, and maximizing the talents of equine charities nationwide, we will be able to ensure a humane and sustainable environment for America’s horses now and in the future,” said Lynn Coakley, EQUUS Foundation President.
Horse Whisperer Perpetual Awards
- High Hopes Therapeutic Riding, Inc., Old Lyme, CT
- Brook Hill Farm, Forest, VA
Horse Whisperer Annual Awards
- Omega Horse Rescue and Rehabilitation Center, Airville, PA
- Charleston Area Therapeutic Riding, John’s Island, SC
- Green Chimneys Children’s Services, Brewster, NY
- Mitchell Farm Equine Retirement, Salem, CT
Jackson Family Horse Whisperer Award
- Secretariat Center, Lexington, KY
- Giant Steps Therapeutic Equestrian Center, Inc., Petaluma, CA
- Project Horse Empowerment Center, Great Falls, VA
- Sprout Therapeutic Riding and Education Center, Aldie, VA
- Sarasota Manatee Association for Riding Therapy, Inc (SMART), Bradenton, FL
- Horsepower, Inc., High Point, NC
Grant recipients from the last three years can be viewed here.
EQUUS Foundation Guardian charities also received Platinum Performance Horse Welfare Awards. Learn more here. The EQUUS Foundation also awarded scholarships to individual volunteers at equine charities through the EQUUS Foundation Champions program sponsored by Ariat International. Learn more here.
About EQUUS Foundation
The EQUUS Foundation, a 501(c)(3) public charity established in 2002, is the only national animal welfare charity in the United States 100% dedicated to protecting America’s horses and strengthening the bond between people and horses. Donations are tax-deductible to the full extent of the law. Contact the EQUUS Foundation, Inc., at 168 Long Lots Road, Westport, CT 06880, telephone: +1 (203) 259-1550, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or website: www.equusfoundation.org.