HITS is one of the largest producers of hunter/jumper horse shows in the United States. It owns beautiful facilities in Florida, New York, Virginia, and Illinois and is known for producing top-level USEF-rated shows. In April 2020, HITS announced the purchase of Lamplight Equestrian Center in Wayne, Illinois. Lamplight is a world-class competition facility at the heart of Midwest horse showing. With the new purchase, horse show dates from HITS’ original Chicago-area facility, Balmoral Park, all have been moved to Lamplight.
Photo by Emma Miller/Phelps Media.
At Jumper Nation, we believe that bringing Lamplight into the greater HITS portfolio is for the best, so long as HITS maintains the flavor and spirit of Lamplight’s long standing foothold in the surrounding equestrian community. Our readers did have a few questions and concerns, primarily about different events. We reached out to the HITS Chicago team, who kindly responded.
The Wayne Eventing Derby is typically held every year in the spring at Lamplight. There are no other eventing competitions held at Lamplight. The 2020 dates were May 1-3, but they were cancelled due to COVID-19. Will it still be held going forward?
- Yes, there are still plans to hold the Wayne Eventing Derby (2021 dates unknown at this point).
At Equifest 2020, will Thoroughbred Jumper classes be held during any of the weeks?
- Thoroughbred Jumper classes will not be offered this year at Equifest.
Lamplight also typically hosts a number of dressage shows. We have confirmed that dressage shows will still be held at this facility. The complete calendar is below (some events have been cancelled):
- Dressage at Lamplight: May 16-17 (cancelled)
- Dressage at Lamplight July: July 17-19 (cancelled)
- Dressage Festival of Champions: August 18-23 (Prize list forthcoming)
- Dressage at Lamplight August: August 20-23 (Prize list forthcoming)
- USDF Region 2 Championship: September 17-20
Thank you, HITS for your help with our readers’ questions! We are looking forward to the show season starting soon at HITS Chicago with Spring Spectacular I.