The HITS Chicago Series at Lamplight Equestrian Center continued last week with Spring Spectacular II. Riders rose to the occasion with great competition in both the Hunter and Jumper rings, and enjoyed a week of great weather for the second week of HITS Chicago this spring.
To kick off Spring Spectacular II, congratulations were in order for Madelyn Cardelli who took top honors aboard Ball Berith in the $2,500 Open Welcome on Wednesday, June 10. While no competitors jumped clean, Cardelli clocked the quickest time with just one rail in 66.934 to secure the lead. In second place were Adeline Rohrbach and Valladam [4-Faults, 68.816], and in third place were Stephen Foran and Cassius 74 [4-Faults, 69.002].
Featured competition continued on Thursday, June 11 in the Grand Prix Ring with the $5,000 Jumper Classic. Taking home the blue ribbon was Steve Schaefer with Zarkava in a jump-off time of 32.201. Maggie Jayne and Arizona ODF took second place [32.225], and Caelinn Leahy and Dymendy claimed third [32.491].
A familiar face from HITS Ocala joined the Winner’s Circle on Friday June 12, as Hunter Holloway and Lucky Strike captured the top placing in the $25,000 SmartPak Grand Prix in a time of 29.924. Sharn Wordley and Gatsby galloped to second place [32.608], and Taylor Flury and Carrasca Z took third [32.778].
Hunter Holloway on Lucky Strike. Photo by ESI.
Andrew Welles took the top placing aboard Brindis Bogibo on Saturday afternoon in the $10,000 HITS Open Jumper Prix. Welles cleared the jump-off in a time of 33.321. In second place were Ryan Sassmannshausen and Babar [34.854]. Welles and Primo Troy also took third place [36.269].
Jumper competition at Spring Spectacular II came to a close with the $50,000 HITS Grand Prix on Sunday afternoon, June 14. With a tight time allowed, the course challenged riders to be quick and careful as they navigated the 16 jumping efforts. Fence 7 at the mid-point and fence 13, the final obstacle, proved a challenge for many. Three riders completed the course with no jumping faults, with only Charlie Jayne and Amice Z doing so within the time allowed. Jayne’s confident approach to the course yielded the winning round in a time of 76.146. In second place galloped Holloway and Pepita Con Spita [1 Time Fault, 81.095]. Wordley and Casper took third [1 Time Fault, 81.657].
Charlie Jayne on Amice Z. Photo by ESI.
Taking home the top prize in the $2,500 USHJA National Hunter Derby was Megan Murray-Tenuta for her ride aboard Last Word. This pair scored a 90 in the first round and followed that up with an 86 for a two round total of 179. In second place were Nicole Clara Lyvere and Vaillero [175.5], and in third were Ashleen Lee and Honor .
Megan Murray-Tenuta on Last Word. Photo by ESI.
Additional Jumper Highlights:
- $1,000 M&S/WIHS Adult Jumper Classic: Rachel Boggus and Shalamar
- $1,000 M&S/WIHS Children’s Jumper Classic: Leigh Nanda and El Casper
- $1,000 NAL Adult Jumper Classic: Rachel Boggus and Shalamar
- $1,000 NAL Children’s Jumper Classic: Alexis Ortiz and Buenos Aires
- $1,000 M&S Modified Children’s & Adult Jumper Classic: Tessa Harper and Nabuco
- $1,000 Dever M&S Children’s & Adult Jumper Classic: Alexis Bauman and Miracles Happen
- $2,500 Chicago Equine A-O/Am 1.25m Jumper Classic: Nicole Bellissimo and Gelzarina
- $2,500 Chicago Equine Junior 1.25m Jumper Classic: Caroline Cardoza and Verdict
- $5,000 Pyranha Jr/A-O/Am 1.35m Jumper Classic: Ashley Shaw and Adico
- $7,500 Jr/A-O/Am 1.40m Jumper Classic: Keira Foster and Thriller P
Additional Hunter Highlights:
- $1,000 Amateur-Owner Hunter Classic: Madeline Thatcher and Summer Place
- $1,000 AIG Junior Hunter Classic: Natalie Jayne and Boccaccio
- $500 SmartPak M&S Adult Hunter Classic: Lyvere and Lugatti
- $500 M&S Children’s Hunter Classic: Addison Stoughton and Destiny
- $1,000 Perfect Products Pony Hunter Classic: Lilly Herzog and Yellowstone
For a complete listing of results from Spring Spectacular II, click here. The Spring Spectacular Series at Lamplight Equestrian Center continues this week with a $25,000 USHJA International Hunter Derby and $50,000 HITS Grand Prix.