The HITS Chicago Spring Spectacular Series at Lamplight Equestrian Center wrapped up last week, June 21 with a full slate of hunter and jumper competition. Week III featured a $25,000 USHJA International Hunter Derby, the first of three International Derbies that will be offered this season, as well as a $50,000 HITS Grand Prix.
Michael Burnett led the way aboard Chagrand to take home the win in the $2,500 Open Welcome on Wednesday, June 17. Burnett crossed the timers in 43.143 to secure the top spot. In second place were Sharn Wordley and Esmee [44.458], and in third place were Nicole Loochtan on Caiman des Sequoias [47.591].
Thursday, June 18 featured the $5,000 Jumper Classic in the Grand Prix Ring, where Lisa Goldman-Smolen claimed top honors aboard Rarity in a time of 42.480. Maggie Jayne and Arizona ODF took second place [4-Faults, 39.796], while Willie Tynan and Kec City Lights took third [4-Faults, 41.755].
Hunter Holloway made it to the five-horse jump-off in the $25,000 SmartPak Grand Prix last Friday, June 19 with all three of her mounts. Already on the roll at HITS Chicago, with multiple top finishes including winning the $25,000 SmartPak Grand Prix during Week II, Holloway and Eastern Jam set to return first in the jump-off and clocked an unbeatable time of 36.153. In second place galloped Lauren Balcomb on Verdini D’Houtveld Z [40.124]. Holloway also took third place on Pepita con Spita [41.256].
Hunter Holloway on Eastern Jam. Photo by ESI.
Molly Talla topped the field in the $10,000 HITS Open Jumper Prix on Saturday, June 20. Talla cleared the jump-off in a time of 36.320, beating the rest of the field by over two seconds, aboard Hirado Blue. Tynan and Ballinteskin Joe took second place [38.853], while Goldman-Smolen returned with Rarity to take third place [4-Faults, 38.064].
After several top finishes during the Spring Spectacular Series, including second and third places in last week’s Grand Prix, Wordley and Casper secured the blue ribbon in the $50,000 HITS Grand Prix on Sunday, June 21 to wrap-up the Spring Spectacular Series at Lamplight Equestrian Center. While the team didn’t have the fastest time in the jump-off, they were the most accurate and it paid off! Wordley was the only rider to jump double clear as he crossed the timers in 42.704. Close behind were Holloway and VDL Bravo S [4-Faults, 42.175]. Also in third place were Holloway and Pepita con Spita [4-Faults, 42.909].
Sharn Wordley on Casper. Photo by ESI.
Greg Crolick was victorious in the $2,500 USHJA National Hunter Derby, as he took home both first and second place. His blue ribbon ride was aboard Conto Blanco with the high scores 95 and 92, respectively, that totaled 187 for the victory. Crolick also took second place aboard Calisto . Meghan Kaupp and Jetson took third [172.5].
Greg Crolick on Conto Blanco. Photo by ESI.
The Grand Prix Ring was transformed into a derby field with brush, natural fences, and hay bales on Saturday afternoon for the $25,000 USHJA International Hunter Derby. Topping an impressive field of riders with a one-two finish was Kelley Farmer for her rides aboard In Writing and Channing. Farmer and In Writing scored a 90 and 89 in the Classic Hunter Round for a total of 179. She then followed that up with scores of 91 and 92, totaling a 183 and an Overall score of 362 to win the class. Farmer and Channing swept second place [356.5], and in third place were Holloway and Ruby Tuesday .
Kelley Farmer on In Writing. Photo by ESI.
Additional Jumper Highlights:
- $1,000 M&S/WIHS Child/Adult Jumper Classic: Leigh Nanda and El Casper
- $1,000 NAL Child/Adult Jumper Classic: Nanda and El Casper
- $1,000 M&S Modified Children’s & Adult Jumper Classic: Tessa Harper and Nabuco
- $1,000 Dever M&S Children’s & Adult Jumper Classic: Margaret Lucas and Clay’s Solitaire
- $2,500 Chicago Equine Jr/A-O/Am 1.25m Jumper Classic: Alexis Ortiz and Little Paul
- $5,000 Pyranha Jr/A-O/Am 1.35m Jumper Classic: Cathy Rolfs and Coco Chanelle
- $7,500 Jr/A-O/Am 1.40m Jumper Classic: Adeline Rohrbach and Valladam
Additional Hunter Highlights:
- USHJA Green Hunter Challenge: Crolick and Conto Blanco
- USHJA Green Incentive: Crolick and Positano
- $1,000 Amateur-Owner Hunter Classic: Kelsey Cruciotti and Queen Celeste
- $1,000 AIG Junior Hunter Classic: Taylor Landstrom and Meridian
- $500 SmartPak M&S Adult Hunter Classic: Taylor Horace and Titan 150
- $500 M&S Children’s Hunter Classic: Philippa Ammann and Tiggertastic
- $1,000 Perfect Products Small/Large Pony Hunter Classic: Lily Herzog and Smash
- $1,000 Perfect Products Medium Pony Hunter Classic: Renee Signore and Prim N Proper
For a complete listing of results from Spring Spectacular III, click here. The HITS Chicago Series continues with six-weeks of competition beginning on July 1. The Summertime Series and Equifest Series feature weekly National Hunter Derbies, bi-weekly Grand Prix, and more.