The HITS Culpeper Series is off to a great start with a full slate of hunter and jumper competition in the “Heart of Virginia’s Horse Country” at the Showday National. From the beautiful weather to many featured class winners, it is great to be back at Commonwealth Park.
HITS thanks exhibitors for complying with the health and safety measures being implemented. As the summer continues, HITS asks that all trainers, exhibitors and staff comply with social distancing, wearing of masks, and other protocols outlined in the HITS Horse Show Protocol. If you are on your way to HITS Culpeper, please be sure to review the HITS Horse Show Protocol prior to your arrival.
Laura Gaither Ulrich and Garda kicked off the week with a win in the $5,000 Open Welcome as they cleared the timers in 37.775. Second place went to Andrew Kocher and Camryn [4-Faults, 33.722], and Casandra Kahle and Pyrenes de Louzes took third place.
Featured jumper competition continued Friday, July 3 with the $10,000 Open Prix where Kocher and Kapriool took top honors in 43.501. Melissa Blades and Betty Balou rode to second place [1 Time Fault, 40.626]. Thire place went to Kahle on Wallstreet [4-Faults, 43.075].
Saturday afternoon, July 4 came to a close with the Culpeper Equitation Classic in the Grand Prix Ring. The HITS Culpeper Equitation Classic is designed for Junior, Amateur, Children, and Adult riders showing at 3’ or 3’6”. Riding to first place with a score of 82 was Agnes Hahn. Lindsay Milligan took second place , while Elizabeth Carter rode to third place .
Jamie Gibson on Caddie R. Photo by ESI.
A competitive group of High Performance riders were welcomed to the Grand Prix Ring on Sunday, July 5 for the $20,000 HITS Open Prix to wrap up the Showday National. Four riders jumped clean in the first round and prepare to return for the jump-off. Securing the blue ribbon was Jamie Gibson aboard Caddie R in a time of 36.698. In second place just behind Gibson were Brooke Kemper and Arpeggi [37.837]. Tracy Magness and Intenz Van HD took third [42.981].
Hunters were in on the action as the HITS Culpeper July Series is host to both a USHJA National Hunter Derby and Platinum Performance Hunter Prix each week.
Ethan Maye on Spartan. Photo by ESI.
Ethan Maye and Spartan secured the blue ribbon in the $2,500 USHJA National Hunter Derby in the Main Hunter Ring on Saturday. A score of 85 in the Hunter Classic Round and 87 in the Handy Hunter round totaled a 172 and the win. Second place went to Laura Schroff Scaletti and Heartthrob HEARTTHROB . Cindy McGrath and Sam XL secured third place .
Junior and Amateur riders were next in the ring to join the winners circle. Taking the blue ribbon in the $1,000 Platinum Performance Hunter Prix were Annabele Whitehead and Imperio. Whitehead rode to scores of 87 and 76.5 for a cumulative score of 163.5. Paige Jadick on Ramone rode to second place , and Isabella Bertozzi with Cousteau took third .
Additional Jumper Highlights:
- $2,000 M&S WIHS/NAL Children’s Jumper Classic: Wyatt Morris and For Star
- $2,000 M&S WIHS/NAL Adult Jumper Classic: Alyson Gurney and Black Friday
- $1,000 Children’s & Adult Low Jumper Classic: Adeline Brubaker and Felix
- $2,500 Jr/A-O/Am 1.20m Jumper Classic: Andrea Smith and Carivel
- $4,000 Pyranha NAL Jr/A-O/Am 1.30m Jumper Classic: Collin Reynolds and Chicco W
- $5,000 Jr/A-O/Am 1.40m Jumper Classic: Tamara Morse and Ravenna Adelheid Z
Additional Hunter Highlights:
- USHJA Green Hunter Incentive: Miranda Scott and Miss Coconut
- $1,000 Amateur-Owner Hunter Classic: Jan Bitzberger and Maximo
- $1,000 Junior Hunter Classic: Claire Parkinson and Chazeaux
- $500 Pony Hunter Classic: Kacy Baumgart and Picturesque
- $500 SmartPak M&S Adult Hunter Classic: Brittany Schutt and Happiness
- $500 M&S Children’s Hunter Classic – Horse: Olivia Dougherty and At Last
- $500 M&S Children’s Hunter Classic – Pony: Cailyn Durand and Prime Moment
- Pre-Children’s and Adult Hunter Classic: Ella McClain and Schoolboy Heart
- Novice Children’s & Adult Hunter Classic: Jordan Bell and Chago
- $250 Bit O’ Straw Hunter Classic: Jordan Bell and Chago
For a complete listing of results from the Showday National, click here. The July Series at HITS Culpeper features National Hunter Derbies and a $35,000 Open Jumper Division!