The prestigious CSI4* week of the 50th American Gold Cup, presented by CaptiveOne Advisors LLC, commenced Wednesday at Flintfields Horse Park, with 32 top-tier competitors getting prepared for the week with the $5,000 1.40m Jumper class early in the morning. Run over an immediate jump-off format, 15 horse-and-rider partnerships advanced to the jump-off, of which a smaller group of nine duos turned in a second clear performance to keep them near the top of the standings. The quickest of the contest, Kristen Vanderveen ultimately concluded the first day of riding as the victor aboard Bull Run’s Divine Fortune, owned by Bull Run Jumpers Six LLC, with a bit of prize money in her pocket.
Kristen Vanderveen on Bull Run’s Divine Fortune. Photo by Elaine Wessel/Phelps Sports.
At the helm for the week, course designer Guilherme Jorge (BRA) produced a fair track of efforts for the initial round and a shortened pattern of fences for the tie-breaker phase to help exhibitors ease into the week. Fifth to go, Sydney Shulman and For Serrano SR set the early standard as the first double-clear pair in 38.809 seconds, but they had reason to doubt their lead not long after as queen of speed Kristen Vanderveen took to the ring in the irons on Bull Run’s Divine Fortune. Living up to her reputation, Vanderveen shaved a substantial amount of time off the clock with her jump-off trip, crossing the finish line in 37.006 seconds to claim the leading spot with the majority of the class left to ride.
Alberto Michan on Loribri. Photo by Elaine Wessel/Phelps Sports.
Try as they might, none of the subsequent contenders were able to match the efforts of the frontrunners, solidifying Vanderveen and Bull Run’s Divine Fortune as the winners following a longstanding lead. Riding Marie Antonette Leviste’s Loribri, Alberto Michan claimed the reserve honors in a double-clear time of 37.468 seconds, and Cathleen Driscoll earned the third-place spot thanks to her double-clear ride in 38.141 seconds on Plain Bay Farm’s Blue Diamant.
Vanderveen has had a wildly successful 2020 season in Traverse City thus far, with major victories in July and August coming in the $36,600 Welcome Stake CSI3*, $36,600 T&R Development Classic CSI3* and $36,600 Traverse City Speed Classic CSI3*, in addition to plenty of other top placings. Thanks to all of her achievements, Vanderveen currently sits second in the rankings towards the CaptiveOne Advisors $30,000 Leading Jumper Rider Bonus, which will be awarded Sunday.
The 50th American Gold Cup CSI4*, presented by CaptiveOne Advisors LLC, will continue throughout the week with a series of highlights in the jumper ring. Friday will feature the $72,900 AGC Qualifier CSI4*, and Saturday will be highlighted by the $36,600 AGC Speed Classic CSI4*. The grand finale of the week will take place Sunday in the form of the $213,300 American Gold Cup Grand Prix CSI4*, presented by CaptiveOne Advisors, and the awarding of the CaptiveOne Advisors $30,000 Leading Jumper Rider Bonus.
Full Class Results – $5,000 1.40m Jumper:
Place / Horse / Rider / Owner / R1 Faults | R2 Faults | R2 Time
1. Bull Runs Divine Fortune / Kristen Vanderveen / Bull Run Jumpers Six LLC / 0 / 0 | 37.006
2. Loribri / Alberto Michan / Marie Antonette Leviste / 0 / 0 | 37.468
3. Blue Diamant / Cathleen Driscoll / Plain Bay Farm / 0 / 0 | 38.140
4. Maharees Rock / Gabriela Reutter / Lumiere Horses Inc / 0 / 0 | 38.761
5. For Serrano SR / Sydney Shulman / Layla Kurbanov / 0 / 0 | 38.809
6. Flairvona / Paul O’Shea / The 500 Hats LLC / 0 / 0 | 39.165
7. Shadow De Shalimar / Jonathon Millar / Isotropic Networks Inc. / 0 / 0 | 41.645
8. Belle Du Courtil / James Brennan / Crooks Show Jumping LLC / 0 / 0 | 41.676
9. Langley Hx / Alise Oken / Hi Hopes Farm LLC / 0 / 0 | 41.872
10. Ronja / Erynn Ballard / Ilan Ferder / 0 / 4 | 36.381
11. Balkana Du Tillard / Olivia Chowdry / Atlas Equine Holdings LLC / 0 / 4 | 38.738
12. Harvester / Erynn Ballard / Ilan Ferder / 0 / 4 | 39.390